Thursday, October 15, 2009

Halloween Decorations and The Law - Addendum

Halloween Decorations and The Law - Addendum

Whilst Googling around, I found an article about some idiot - pardon me - person who hanged a vice presidential candidate in effigy. He got in trouble for that. I'm OK with him getting in trouble for that. I'm not OK with people who try to turn the innocent enjoyment of a holiday into something which it is not.

All this political correctness crap gives me hemorrhoids. I haven't put the hanging man back out because of fear that the law is going to come to my door to arrest me for racial insensitivity or anything else equally idiotic. YES, IDIOTIC.

What is next? Is it going to become illegal to put out a Halloween display of UFO's? Tombstones (made from extruded polystyrene)? Fake bones? Fake cheesecloth ghosts?

Going on from there, will it be illegal to put out a manger scene at Christmas? Ooooops, it already is. A number of local governments have gotten into deep legal dog droppings (sarcasm fully intended if it fits) because they had manger scenes or otherwise Christian looking scenes on public property. Good grief.

When is it going to be illegal to say "Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Joyous Eid" or something else connected to a religious holiday? A close friend is a teacher and she doesn't DARE put anything that even hints of religion on her classroom's bulletin board.

It might offend.

Come on, folks. Get real.

Screw it. Happy Halloween and a Joyous Samhain to all of you who care to celebrate. While it is still legal, I'm going to carve my pumpkins, drape my ghosts and put out my tombstones.

No comments:

Post a Comment